Friday 16 March 2012


Joe Farrugia was one of the athletes finishing the Malta Marathon with more years on his life account than kilometres covered. And true to his usual self, he didn't just make the numbers as crossing the finish line at 3:15:15, he was the 48th overall, and second in the 55-59 Age Category. His wife, three daughters and grand daughters cheering him on the sidelines were surely not let down.


Joe, you said in your last interview that running effects your well-being. Now that you’ve returned and conquered the ultimate distance of running, i.e. the marathon, how good do you feel?

Well, after the finish I felt very tired, but now I’m getting my strength back and am looking forward for the next events.


I’ve heard you didn’t have the ideal preparation for the marathon. What went wrong during the preparation?

At first I had problems regarding my family, which were fortunately solved. Then I had some physical problems too and had to do some tests at the hospital. It was too much too handle and I was losing my concentration. Fortunately, everything got sorted out.


Still, you managed a very respectable time and placing. It seems you’ve got it in you to defy all the odds. Apart from that what helped you through out? Having been through a marathon three times before, how much that helped psychologically?

Experience is very important when it comes to sports and thus I have learned a lot through past marathons.


It also seemed you had a running partner in your team-mate Sam Attard, and in fact finished the marathon very close to each other. Did you run most of the marathon together, and how much running with someone else helps?

Sam, was a good partner and pacer during the last marathon. We ran forty kilometres together, we were six athletes running together at a constant pace. Sam, an Italian, a Spanish, a French, a Scottish and I. We all pulled each other for the first twenty-five kilometres. However after KM25 the Spanish guy ran off being younger and stronger than the rest of the group. Then after twenty-nine kilometres Sam and I left the others behind and helped each other by keeping a fast, steady pace.


Looking back with hindsight on your side, would you have run the first part of the marathon faster or slower? How different in terms of timing and feelings were the first and second part? Did you feel like hitting any walls at times?

If I were running alone I think I would have ran faster the first part but would have performed the second part at a slower pace. At KM32, climbing up the hill at Blata il-Bajda it felt like hitting a big wall.


Finally, a half marathon in Prague at the end of March is on the horizon for you. After a whole marathon how are you feeling for your next challenge?

I hope to recover my strength back as soon as possible, hoping to obtain a respectable time. Looking forward to another experience!


The interview with Joseph Farrugia prior to the marathon is found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment