Wednesday 22 February 2012

Characters of the Marathon



For the past nine years, Manfred Borda has been delivering the goods for Mellieħa AC from the backstage as a committee member. This year for the fourth time, he will simultaneously be at the forefront too as he will challenge the forty-two kilometres and a bit in the blue vest.

In the meantime he plays the role of a General Manager at the Canifor Hotel, act as a husband and lives the role of a father to his three year old daughter. Manfred is surely not too devoid of different roles. On Sunday he will be a returning marathoner.


Manfred, what got you into running? Do you have a background in any other sport?

I started running ten years ago when I used to go running for twenty minutes with two of my diving friends. I used to play basketball when I was younger and won the knock-out competition with Fiat Mosta.


How long have been involved directly with Mellieħa AC, and how did your involvement start?

I have been involved with Mellieħa AC for the last ten years. A friend of mine introduced me to Robert Vella. Back then, we ran the LRC 6 miles road race together in forty-six minutes.


How many marathons have you done and what is your personal best? When was your first marathon?

I ran three marathons – in 2005, 2006 and 2007, registering a personal best of 2.58.08 in 2006.


What has been your overriding memory of your past marathons?

Great satisfaction, happiness with my new times and gratitude to my coach Has Kesra.


Standing at the starting line, forty-two kilometres away from the finishing line, what will be your thoughts and maybe fears?

My fear is that something would happen during the race and I wont be able to finish the race. Forty-two kilometres is a very long distance and everything can happen during the race. But I shall be looking forward to the finish line where my daughter will be waiting for me.


What made you return to the challenge of the marathon?

I was looking for a new motivation and running a marathon again motivates me no end.


Has your preparation for this year’s marathon differed from the past ones?

Yes this year the coach Has Kesra introduced us with the fourth generation training. For me it looks a very good training programme however more demanding.


Having to juggle between speed and endurance training, which part of training do you find mostly demanding? And the most satisfactory?

Long runs are very important and demanding but to do them alone is a little bit boring sometimes. Speed work always gives me more pleasure and satisfaction.


Psychologically, what has mostly kept you going through the preparation for the big day?

My wife, my coach Has Kesra and my friends who always keep supporting me during the training. Also I would like to thank my wife for her support and a big sorry to my daughter for not spending enough time with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment