Sunday 19 February 2012

Characters of the Marathon


The marathon has decided to call Hadrian Bonello back after thirteen years. Before then a serious shoulder and knee injury cut short his judo career whereby he was also part of the national team. But long distance running soon medicated the withdrawal symptoms of a life without judo.

A marathon was done in 2 hours 47 minutes where he placed as the second Maltese and the eighth overall. That was back in 1999. For nine years since that day, he has been juggling everything that life throws around raising up his daughter Isabella with the required love, dedication, patience, understanding and energy. The role of a Senior Principal Environmental Health Officer, where Food Safety is his realm is also played.

Running serves to keep his sanity in place.


Hadrian, you were considered as a top athlete in the past. At your prime you seemed to have disappeared. Last year you got back and was a very solid performer, constantly winning your category at different races. What lured you back to running? Did you keep on running leisurely when you weren’t doing so competitively?

Yes, after the marathon I did a few more races but then stopped altogether for some years, my knee had started playing again and I also started to travel a lot too so running became secondary. I used to go for a jog for a couple of days a week just to keep the fitness but I was no longer interested to get back again to the usual routine. The interest had died away when Isabella was born and my priorities were towards her. In 2011 right after the marathon I started jogging again on a daily basis increasing the momentum. I was enjoying it again and started to follow a programme which I obtained from the internet. I targeted the Veteran’s 10k road race. On race day I met all my running mates of old. Everyone was still running and there were too a few new faces as well. I had really enjoyed the race and time-wise I was on the right track. From that race onwards I never looked back. I joined Mellieha AC again and started training under Has Kesra, who was still coaching the team.


Looking back to those years, what has changed in the long-distance running in Malta? For a start, it seemed athletes back then were posting better times than nowadays. Would you attribute such a phenomenon to anything in particular?

Back then we did not have the technology of today with GPS’s. Heart rate monitors were used but not as much as today. There were some really outstanding runners back then, the likes of Ricky Baldacchino, John Buhagiar, Kevin Zammit, etc. They used to post times that today are still considered as very difficult to attain. I think that we still a need a few more years to start seeing a new cycle of elite athletes or the current top athletes to achieve their times. I think as with all sports every club needs to have a dedicated nursery to nurture young kids to take up the sports and guide them appropriately. Mellieha AC has started this initiative under the guidance of Has Kesra with the assistance of some of our experienced club runners. I am sure that in a few years time the fruits of this venture will reap some good athletes.


How different do you think Hadrian at this year’s starting line will be to the Hadrian at the starting line thirteen years ago?

Thirteen years ago I was thirty-four years old with about six to seven years of running in my feet. Next week it will be twelve months after I started running seriously again. I don’t think I will be any different than the last time. I know that I have prepared myself properly so it’s important to be focused and follow the race at the tactical pace.


Having done it before, do you see the marathon as familiar ground, or does the whole forty-two kilometres make it a different challenge altogether to any other you’ve faced before?

I have only done one marathon before so for me this one is going to be like my first again. The course has totally changed from 1999. It is a new challenge which I am looking forward to. What I know that this year unlike 1999 when I ran the whole race on my own, there are a handful of runners who are on the same running pace as me so we will be helping and pushing each other to post a good time.


I imagine you have been under different coaches since your last marathon. How has the preparation for this year’s marathon different from your previous one?

When I started running in the nineties I just used to go out to run every single day, listening and taking advice from other runners. Then I started being coached under Charles Darmanin of St. Patrick’s who guided me better and under his tutelage I managed to improve my timings drastically. Then when I joined Mellieha AC the training under Has Kesra took a different direction. Training was totally different and running was becoming more enjoyable too. Also I kept on clipping off seconds during races. This year training is totally different than thirteen years ago. So much has changed. Training is not as hard as it used to be back then. It has become more technical and though there are some hard sessions in the program that we follow, overall it has become easier. The methodology of ‘no pain no gain’ or ‘train hard to win easy’ is no longer the way forward. We follow a fifth generation style of training on the same level as that of the north-east Africans. It is working perfectly as everyone is running fast and doing personal bests. I can vouch for that because I am a few seconds off from my personal bests of thirteen years ago. So this training concept works and gives you time to recover better too. Also in summer when the long distance running season is slow, our coach asked us to cross train by including swimming and cycling to our casual running. This year I participated in a few triathlon events which have helped me keep an optimum level of fitness.


I imagine three hour long runs have been part and parcel of your preparation. How much do they take out from you, physically and mentally such long runs? On the other hand, how gratifying are they?

Those doing the full marathon only had a one three hour long run which we did a couple of weeks ago. But we were being built up gradually for this long run so it was not that hard to do. I think it is an important part of our preparation because the marathon is an endurance race and in long distance races you need to stay on your feet for quite some time. Running for such a long time takes quite a bit out of you physically. But it is important to be very well hydrated before starting and to remain hydrated during the run as well. Mentally, if you are focused positively that you can do it, then the long run will be the most satisfying part of your training.


Returning back to running after quite a few years, has your lifestyle changed?

Like I said earlier, my life rotates around my daughter so I have to fit in my training to accommodate her timetable. I run whilst she is at her ballet lessons and doctrine classes. On other days I run from my parent’s house. If I had to tell you that my lifestyle has changed from thirteen years ago, yes dramatically actually. But comparing today to the past five years not much has changed. I don’t go out as much as I wish to especially on Saturday nights since Sundays are reserved for my long runs. But I don’t regret this. I am really enjoying my running and it has once again been etched into my life. I feel better, fitter and just as strong as I was back then.


There will be once again forty-two kilometres between you and the finishing line on Sunday, 26th February. What’s the main motivation that you believe will keep you going?

My daughter at the finish line and the belief that mentally I can do it.


Finally, anyone in particular you would like to thank for their support?

Mum and dad for their help and understanding, Isabella who constantly on a daily basis asks me what my running schedule is for the day, Has Kesra who coaches me and who gives me the motivation when the days are tough and last but not least all the Mellieha AC family. Family? Yes, I don’t consider it just a running club but a true family of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment