Monday 4 February 2013





As the legend goes, Philippides ran 25 miles from the battlefield near Marathon to Athens to announce the Greek victory over Persia.  He was the bearer of joy.  Nowadays, people run one more mile, battle all their doubts and inner voices, all to tell themselves that they’ve repeated the same feat of over 2,500 years ago.  And joy is then natural.

Donatelle Camilleri, is one such character preparing for such a quest.


Donatelle, you are essentially a triathlete.  Running may be seen as just one sport of three.  How do you rate your love and commitment to running in relation to the triumvirate of swimming, cycling and running?

Running is one of the three sports that requires the least preparation and time to train.  You can just grab your stuff and shoes and head out for a run.  You can also run at any time and in any conditions.  For me running is a way of relaxing and unwinding myself as all you need to keep a look out for are the potholes and the occasional crazy driver. Preparing for a full marathon naturally requires more commitment and trying to make your run as efficient as possible.


You are no stranger to long distances, and have even finished an IronMan.  What made you decide for the marathon rather than the half.  Do you see it as an end in itself or as a preparation for another IronMan?

This is my first full Marathon not being part of Triathlon so it’s a totally new experience which I’m looking forward to.  For me this full marathon will be in preparation for hopefully another Ironman. 


What is your personal lure behind going such long distances?

I prefer long distances than short as i find that it takes me quite some time to settle into my pace and feel comfortable.  The impact on my body with long distance is far less stressful than doing a 5km, but of course the ultras are another story. 


I imagine this is the first time you are preparing for such a main event under the tutelage of Has Kesra.  How has your training been going, and how different is Kesra’s training from other coaches you have trained with?

This is the first time I am actually following a programme and can see the long term reasoning behind it.  I also like the discipline and regimental plan of being given a programme and following it.   The feedback from Has Kesra and the support from all my team mates is great and this is also a first for me and really appreciate it.  Triathlon is a lonely and individual sport but since running with Has Kesra’s programme I feel I have found a new family and a whole support system.  Training so far has gone quite according to plan except for a 5 week flu which was a set-back.


Come 24th February you will be toeing a line 42 kilometres and a bit away from the finishing line.  This time though, you will only have to depend on your legs and heart.  Is it a boost not to have to worry about anything else, such as bicycle and mechanical matters that such medium carry? 

Yes it’s definitely a less mental effort but running that distance also entails planning.  It’s a long day and a long run and anything can happen.  So ideally i would have prepared myself both nutrition wise before and during the race and will be mentally focused on the day. 


You have lately been doing 10km races, and have had constant and satisfactory timings.  How much such races have been reassuring you are on the right track for the big day?

These races help me and all my running buddies to learn and keep our pace in the race.  We are given a set target and it is than up to us to manage and achieve that target with 100% control of the full race.   With these races we are learning to do this and it’s amazing to see the result of how good it feels to be 100% in control of what is happening during the race.


Finally, what will be the main driving force that you envisage carrying you towards the finishing line on the day? 


Naturally as with everyone out there, the build up and the stress and butterflies at the starting line will be tangible but I hope to be able to control this and once the gun goes for the GO, I will settle down into my target pace and stay there and be 100% in control of what happens.  Anything can happen but I hope to be mentally and physically prepared to take myself to that finish line which will be the only point of focus. 







No comments:

Post a Comment