Wednesday 13 February 2013

The mind and its beliefs





A certain John Hanc once said that finishing a marathon isn’t just an athletic achievement, it’s a state of mind – a state of mind that says anything is possible.

Hadrian Bonello seems to be a living epitome of this reasoning.  Having completed his first marathon back in 1999, he returned to the marathon scene last year.  The timing was not improved but it confirmed that there is always less than 3 hours between himself and 42 kilometres.  And now fourteen years later he’s training his body and mind simultaneously to better his 1999 achievement.

Time can wear down most things but not the belief of some people.


Hadrian, this time last year, we were discussing about coming back to the marathon after an absence of 13 years. In the meantime, you also did an ultra-marathon which you won. How natural was it to decide for another marathon after last year?

They have been an amazing two years of running since I returned and I have not once said to myself that I would stop and do something else altogether. Someone once told me that once you try the full marathon you would not go back to race the half distance. And it’s true. Once you make the switch you keep coming back to do it all over again. The ultra-marathon which I did last year was more of a personal challenge to me.  I did a couple of trail runs and also took part in a couple of races including the second longest trail race in Malta organized by Agones from Madliena to Fomm ir-Rih, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I said to myself that the Gozo Ultra would be my next challenge. It was the first Ultra organized in Malta by Hellfire and it was truly an amazing experience. Sometimes doing something out of the ordinary to challenge oneself brings with it personal satisfaction and a more understanding of what the body can achieve with mental perseverance.


How different is an ultra-marathon on trails than the one held every February on the roads?

I am not expert to trial runs. But basically you rarely run on a tarmac during a trail race and there are moments in the race where you have to walk, climb and do other inevitable tasks to keep moving forward. The Gozo Ultra was an experience in itself. I recall running through bamboo fields, through sand, up a cliff face, getting lost and retracing back to the route somewhere in Qala and some very steep hills near the Azure Window. But what really is amazing about trail runs is the scenario that you see on the way even though your mind has to be constantly on the trail you are following because you can get easily lost or lose your footing. Winning was just an added bonus but finishing the race itself was the climax to a truly memorable experience. The February marathon is totally a different story. It is run on the road and the only element is the weather otherwise you follow your race pace and make it to the finish. Though I must say that even this race is exciting as throughout the race you get people giving you support especially at the finish. The Gozo Ultra is just you and nature and if lucky another running mate who is running at the same pace and pattern as you.


Fourteen years down the line and in your forties, and you are challenging the times achieved fourteen years ago when still in your thirties. It seems you’re defying conventional wisdom. What’s behind it all?

I keep saying to myself 'If only I had not stopped running for all that time, if only!!!!’ But the reality is what it is. I had talked with Has Kesra, who is my running coach and mentor, when I returned to competing and told him what I wanted to do. We discussed everything including targets and how age can affect timing, etc. He just told me to believe in myself and in the training. Last year we were on course for a personal best but due to reasons which I could have prevented, lost those precious 6 minutes due to an oversized pair of racing shoes, socks not fit for long distance running and too much Vaseline in the foot. I still have a photo of my feet with the mega blisters I had as a reminder not to repeat that mistake again.


Do you feel much better facing 42 kilometers than this time round last year?

This question could not come at a more sour time. I used to hear people saying that they were suffering from some injury or another. I used to say to myself that I am always careful and rarely do I encounter an injury myself. But as it happens, injuries do happen. In my last MAAA race at Ta Qali, I pushed really hard and the following day I woke up with a niggling pain in my Gluteus Maximus. I did not know this word existed until I spoke with my coach and told him where the pain was coming from. So for these next couple of weeks I need to do a lot of stretching and easy runs. According to Has, the training is already done and I just need to keep myself focused and fit to start and finish the race. In the meantime I need to rest, stretch and run at a comfortable pace. Fingers crossed by D-Day this will have passed away.  


What is your biggest challenge, the distance of 42 kilometers, or beating last year’s timing?

The biggest challenge is to beat the timing of my first marathon of 1999. This will be my third one. I finished in 2.52.56 last year and I need to go below 2.47 this year. According to Has, the results that I am showing in my 10km races show that I am able to go below that time but like I said earlier, I will have to wait and see when race day arrives. Hopefully if not beating my personal best I can improve on last year's timing. But whatever the outcome, I will be at the start and hopefully at the finish too.


You are a MAC runner training under Has Kesra. Every MAC runner seems prepared to run through a brick wall for him. What makes him different and special?

'Train smart, win easy!' That is his motto. Not necessarily that every runner will win a trophy but every runner will make a personal achievement, being a personal best, an excellent timing or simply finishing a good race and feeling great about it. The training is totally different than what I see other runners do. We do not pile up a lot of mileage every week. We do not train twice a day either but we follow a pyramid system in phases whereby we reach our peak a month or so after the marathon. It is a very complex system where we were given the details about how the training will be carried out and how the body will develop through each phase of the pyramid. Athletes who follow a hard training regime may achieve results quickly but end up burning themselves quickly. Improvement takes time and is gradual. The body can take so much at one time so if it is overloaded, at one point or another it will explode and would require a total haul. I believe in my coach. Has Kesra is the key to the success of Mellieha AC and of those who train under his guidance; of which I am very proud to be part of. 


Looking back at your post marathon interview last year, it seems you’ve defied the wall at KM32 after following your pace strictly. How much is the marathon more of a psychological than a physical battle?

'Think positive thoughts'. Training your mind to withstand the battle that lies ahead is one aspect of training for long distance races. It is imperative to understand that mind and body work together. You can be physically ready to run the marathon but if you are not mentally prepared for it than at some point or another you will break. Everyone says that at kilometer 32, which happens to be a tough part of the course as well, is the point where the race will dictate and decide on the pace and timing of your race. Though physically the body is tired after running constantly at race pace, the mind starts playing games with you. It is here that one has to psychologically break this wall and keep positively focused on the pace and the finish. With proper mental and physical preparation, an athlete is well prepared for the race.


And finally, after suffering blisters last year, is a fitting pair of running shoes and good socks prepared for this year?

I definitely won't be making the same mistakes again as last year. I have prepared for this since November. I have a good pair of running socks ready plus a good pair of snug fitting running shoes which I bought back then and have used solely for a couple or so races and one long run. So they do not have a lot of mileage on them and are still very race worthy and which can handle comfortably another 42km. I AM READY!

No comments:

Post a Comment