Wednesday 27 February 2013

The great sequel




It starts by a sequence of kilometres.  One after another, till finally the 42nd equates them into a marathon, and the runner becomes a marathoner.  From a sequence of kilometres, Liza Schembri advanced to sequels - of whole marathons themselves. On 24th February, she was lining up for her fifth one all dressed up in the blue kit of Mellieha AC.  

While at it, she proved that sequels for the dedicated are not only not boring but are what makes one stronger and better as she bettered her time from the previous marathon by more than nine whole minutes.  Still elated, Liza shares her experience with us.


Liza, you were already a marathoner, but this year you’ve opted for another one.  What makes you return to a marathon after another?
  
I love long distance running. The longer I run, the happier I am. A marathon and the preparation behind it means more than just running to me. It changes my whole outlook, to the way I see things in my daily life. It makes me feel content and complete.  If I don’t run, I am a different person. Infact, if I am having a bad day at the office, the first thing my father asks me is if I went running in the morning!!


How has your preparation for this marathon differed from previous ones?

This year’s preparation was totally different. I started following Has Kesra’s running plan last November and immediately felt that it fit in with my life. I liked the fact that I would have my running schedule on a fortnight basis and so can plan my work around my running plan. I followed it religiously, running in the rain when I had to. The fact that Has would follow every training session I/we did, motivated me even further. He was always there to ask how I felt after every session. That helped tremendously as you realize that analyzing what you are doing prepares your mind for what is yet to come. It also helps you build a stronger mind for the marathon, which is of utmost importance.


I understand that you’ve recorded a pb in this year’s marathon.  So apart from your preparation before the marathon, what was the main difference during the marathon itself that enabled you to achieve such a personal glory?

Yes this definitely was my best marathon, time wise but also with the way I felt all throughout. Has Kesra gave me a pace he was sure I could stick to. I kept it from the 1st km till the very end. I had a pace band round my wrist to make sure I was on target at every 5th km and it worked so well for me. I was focused all throughout. Also I made sure I ate and drank from 5km on so that way my sugar levels never went down.


I understand that you’ve ran marathon(s) abroad, how does the Malta Marathon compare?

I ran the Virgin London Marathon in 2011 and enjoyed it mainly due to the fact that people are in the streets cheering you on from the 1st km till the end. Also, the organization is impeccable and it is hard to pin point any flaws. The organization of the Malta marathon is improving each year and this year, was definitely the year were the professional organization was most noticeable. Small things, such as smaller water bottles along the route, more marshals and people cheering all along may be the things which will make it more enjoyable. The fact that we have great weather in February is our biggest plus point.


Does running on home soil with your club mates and in front of your family make up for the much lesser number of athletes and atmosphere in general?

Yes of course it does. At the start line, we were all together joking and comparing our nerves and lack of sleep of the previous night!! Seeing my family and Has Kesra at the start and then running the 42km focusing on seeing them at the finish line helped me run better. I kept on thinking that I just cannot let them down!!


I imagine there must have been harder kilometres than others during the route, and at times walls must have appeared instead of roads.  Where were they, and how did you run through them?

I usually start feeling uneasy and weak on the Mriehel By-Pass till the very end. During my first marathon I remember clearly seeing people in Ta’ Xbiex and I just could not see their facial features. I kept on seeing round heads with no eyes and mouth. This year was different. From before I decided that I will like the By-Pass because it is flat and I will be able to maintain my pace, and that is exactly what happened. I felt well till the end. Ultimately the marathon is a mind game after the 32nd kilometer. If your mind starts playing games, then your performance will dip. You have to fight against all the negativity that comes into it and feel positive and in control. I always say that at least 35% of the marathon is in my mind. You have to pre-set it on the way you want to feel during the marathon and let go of the bad thoughts that try to come into it along the way. If the training was done well, then it’s all about the mind.


You placed as the number one MAC female runner and thus can be said you led the No 1 Female Team in the Malta Marathon.  How much of a joy is it, and has it sunk in yet?

I was thrilled to hear that we placed first as a team. I was meant to arrive last of the team and overtaking my team mates on the By-Pass was my lowest point. We trained together and shared so much of what we were doing together, even in terms of what we were eating. So you can understand placing first still feels like a bitter-sweet experience. Having said that, I am extremely happy with the result and will always look back and think of this as my favorite marathon (so far!!). However, I already look forward to next year when we can all improve on our times together as a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment